Dr. Spirtou is Associate Professor in the Dept. of Primary Education, University of Western Macedonia. She holds a BA in Physics (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) and a Ph.D. from the Dept. of Primary Education (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) in:
“A Costructivist approach for educating primary student teachers in Science”. She is member of European Science Education Research Association (ESERA). Her research and scientific work cover four main areas:
• Pre-service and In-service teacher education in Science
• Design, development, implementation and evaluation of innovative Teaching-Learning Sequences for pupils and teachers.
• Aspects of Pedagogical Content Knowledge in Science – Teacher’s reflection in Science Education.
• Development of science educational animations.
Recent EU funded research Projects include:
• ""Teacher Education in Science"". In the context of ""Education and Life Long Learning"" programme.
• Materials Science Project: University-school partnerships for the design and implementation of research-based ICT-enhanced modules on Material Properties”.